At the time applying for Residents permit or visa it is essential that you have health insurance in place.
It is important that the health insurance complies with the minimum requirements.
The regulations state the when a foreigner decides to live in Spain for more than 90 days, they will have to comply with rules to formalize their stay. There are two different situations:
- If the foreigner comes from a country in the European Union they should ask for CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO DE CIUDADANO DE LA UNION EUROPEA (NIE). It isn’t necessary where the stay is for less than 90 days, since there is free movement in the Schengen.
- If the foreigner comes from a country outside the European Union they should ask for PERMISO DE RESIDENCIA (TIE).
In both of these cases the law in Spain stipulates that the applicant must have health insurance to obtain the document being applied for:
The requirements the health insurance policy must need in these cases:
It must have same benefits as the National Health Service system, without needing any contribution from the insurance (copayment), without a deferred period and with repatriation cover.
- The insurance without copayment doesn´t have limitations. The premium is usually higher but during the term of the policy the insurance has nothing else to pay.
- The deferred period is the time that must pass after the policy is started until you can use those services. These periods are calculated by month and can vary depending on the type of service and product contracted. These tend to relate to hospitalization (except for emergencies), certain medical tests, surgery, family planning and psychotherapy.
- The repatriation cover guarantees the transfer of the deceased to the place from which the come from, including the transfer procedures, transfer to the nearest airport in the place of origin and then on to the burial ceremony or cremation.BMI can assess and help you make the correct choice from the best insurance companies in order to cover all your needs in the most optimal way possible.
Spain has a range of companies that offer health insurance specifically designed for foreigners and therefore can provide a solution for a residency application.